The actual switch from ISDN is easier than you might think, and there are transitional options if you're not ready to switch off capital expenditure. The first step is to ask yourself a few questions around the business:
- How many phones numbers do you have?
- Where do those numbers lead?
- Are incoming calls queued or directed elsewhere if the line is busy?
- What kind of voicemail system does your business require?
Once you've established the basics, take a look at the top 5 things you should consider when upgrading your phone lines to SIP from ISDN. At the top of this list is managing your number porting process and making sure you allow for the time required to do this seamlessly – this is critical given the copper switch-off.
Don't want to upgrade just yet?
Vocus can help you assess your options, and in many cases, we can provide a low cost upgrade to your existing PABX infrastructure that will open up your business to some great SIP features, without you having to upgrade all of your infrastructure or make hefty licensing investments.
How do you know if the switchover will be an issue for your current voice infrastructure?
Answer these questions...
- How important are your numbers to your business?
- Are you prepared for the ISDN switch off?
- Have you been thinking about transitioning to SIP?
- Can you pick up and move your business in the case of an emergency?
- Is there pressure to get costs down in your business infrastructure?